SAP Basis Specialists – who are they and what do they do?
A SAP Basis Specialist (in job offers you may also come across the names SAP Basis Administrator or SAP Basis Consultant) is a person responsible for configuring, monitoring and troubleshooting the technical environment in the SAP area. The SAP Basis Specialists work on troubleshooting source code or other technical SAP issues. Their tasks also include installing SAP software, updating and looking after SAP systems, managing external systems and database objects, as well as analysing, developing and maintaining SAP data architecture and models.
Skills required for the position of SAP Basis Consultant
If you are interested in working as an SAP Basis Specialist, you should know what requirements you need to meet. Here is what a sample list of requirements looks like:
- X years of experience as an SAP Basis Specialist (X depending on the position junior, mid or senior);
- Implementing and maintaining the installations that make up the SAP environment programming, testing, training, production;
- Implementing technical changes to the SAP environment in a structured manner, minimising risk, achieving reliability and efficiency in each SAP area;
- Designing and implementing the optimal SAP configuration;
- Experience in design activities and project analysis prior to implementation;
- Experience in system migration projects;
- Creating the correct solution architecture using the various SAP tools;
- Installing and configuring SAP servers and databases;
- Management of SAP users, their rights and profiles;
- Preparing reports on the current status of projects and providing them to the responsible persons;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to articulate complex technical concepts in business areas;
- Confidentin conducting discussions with business clients;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to express complex technical concepts in business terms;
- Fluency in English;
- Flexibility and willingness to travel for business, including abroad.